Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Holidays and Family

Its been a while and I apologize. In the past few weeks (or months really), things have been so hectic. From school starting, to Fall Ball, and Emma growing like a weed I haven't had much time to do much. With the Holidays Rapidly approaching I have no idea how I found time to blog. I guess its because, Emma is asleep, the two older kids are outside with Ladd, and while I was rocking Emma, Ladd picked up the house. So I guess I have 10 minutes before Emma's 6th sense picks up that I am about to do something.
 
Turkey day is TMRW!! WHAT!?? How did time fly so fast!! This time last year we were getting the BEST news we had in a long time. For most of you know last year was a terrible trying time for our family. It got WAY ugly the week or two before thanksgiving, and for a moment there I didn't think I was strong enough to make it through. With Ladd and our parents and some REALLY close friends we made it through. This time of the year I am SO thankful for my family and the friends that have always been there no matter what, ready to take on our burdens with us. Its also the time of the year when I lost 2 of my grandparents roughly 3 and yrs ago.  I miss each of them so dearly because they both taught me so much and not a day goes by that I don't think about them.
 
My grandpa never met Braelyn, I was only 3 months pregnant when he passed away. I still remember the day I got the phone call from Kouri, the exact moment, where I was standing, leaning against our couch for support. After being in the hospital from falling and when we thought he was doing so good in therapy and rehab, he passed away so suddenly and unexpectedly. I am so THANKFUL he was able to meet his first Great Grand child Greyson. Greyson was only 2 when he passed but he still remembers him as the "Old Man with white face hair". There are so many fond memories of him that I cherish. From staying summers with him and Granny, to all the birthdays, Easters, Thanksgivings and Christmas' at their house in Granbury. I remember when he hid on the roof on Halloween and scared the Ba-Jesus out of us, and when he pretended he poisoned the chips on April Fools, to the awesome fire truck he never let us play with!! He also taught us so much, like every bad action has a consequence. I think he would always say "The Devils going to get you." This came very clear to me when after torturing a frog and killing it, not even hours later, I stubbed my toe and scraped the end of it off. (I always did this because I never wore shoes)  I learned the hard way to stop smacking at the table because he would reach across and thump us across the head, and to never wear hats at the table, and mostly for the guys, to wear a shirt at the table (I know this is a given but for my family who always ran around shirtless, this is a big thing!!) I remember that DARN pond and water fall in the back yard, that he tried so hard to keep up and have gold fish in, but eventually giving up and filled it in with dirt.
 
 
My Grandma Hadley, passed away when Braelyn was only 4 months old. In her lasts months, strongly battling stage 4 cancer, Greyson, Braelyn and I would travel to Aunt Sandra's to go help with taking care of her. My fondest memories of Grandma Hadley was from the few days I would stay with her and Papa Jerry during the summers. I  remember walking to the fabric store that was just behind her house and picking out patterns and fabrics. Then coming home and watch her cut the patterns out and then she would teach me how to sew the pieces together. I like to credit her for my craftiness. She was always showing me how to do things from making cute decorations for Christmas, to sewing, to crocheting, and cross stitch. She also took part in my love to cook. I remember thinking it was SO cool when we made our own play dough. She also changed my thinking about how cool "Lunch Ladies" were! She worked in a school cafeteria for a LONG time and I bet she was the best cook ever!! I remember sitting at the bar stool in the corner and watching her cook Thanksgiving stuffing and dressing and not LETTING ANYONE touch what she was working on. Even in those last months she couldn't leave the kitchen. She may not have been cooking herself but she sure enough made her presence with commands and directions. I am so THANKFUL I was able to get most of her recipes and am able to cook. I also remember riding on my Papa Jerry's shoulder's as he did his morning laps around the house. My Papa Jerry passed away from a devastating bout of cancer when I was just over 3 months pregnant with Greyson. I remember listening to his book on tapes, sitting in his lap and watching Price is Right with him and how he always had on hand on Grandma's shoulder when we were out and about and I LOVED pushing the button on his talking radio. I was always in awe of how a blind man can count money, how he could play the piano and trumpet, sometimes at the same time, and now he could wash laundry (Grandma had put a little dollop of nail polish on the knob and panel so he could line them up for the right cycle). He taught me how to play "3 Blind Mice" on the piano. I always wanted him to be the one playing the piano at my wedding, but he passed away just little over a year before. To me he was the best piano player and I could sit and listen to him play for hours. I remember when I stayed with them, we would go to a hall, I guess it was the lodge or something, and him and his band would play while everyone one else would dance. My favorite part, was when he would sing and play.
This picture was placed next to the piano at my wedding.
 
 
The only Grandparent that I have is my Granny. I am so thankful and glad she is able to experience her Great Grandchildren.

 
Growing up I remember watching her cook too. I learned homestyle cooking from her. She taught me how to make fried tators and red beans, meatloaf, and fried chicken. I remember her chasing me and pinning me down so she could pull a tooth. Or how she ALWAYS took care of the Schwan's man, one time even letting him take a nap in the recliner. She always let us sit in her lap and drive down the road they lived on. Out of 7 grandkids I was the ONLY girl. With the exception of Luke, I and currently the shortest out of all of us. Before much longer, Luke will even be taller than me. Just for mental picture sake, I am 5' 10", I have an uncle that has to duck to walk through doorways and under ceiling fans and I am pretty 3 of my cousins have to do the same now.
 

 
 
My Granny is a unique person because she is an Identical twin. And I grew up hearing her say:
 
DIE-rection
DIE-rectly
Worsh (wash)
"Listen" when she was watching her soaps or most memorable when she was watching the OJ Simpson Trial. She would always say "Listen, Listen" instead of turning up the volume.
We always joke about how she is a good cushion for us to lay on and how if we didn't finish our food, just hand it to Granny. When she knows we are coming to visit, she always has Kouri and Ryan their cookies, and my chocolate sheet cake. Growing up, for my birthday (Feb 7th) she ALWAYS made me a heart shaped strawberry cake topped with pink frosting and red hots. And when we "Hated" our parents, we always cried wanting to go to Granny's. Or "Im telling Granny!!"
 
Family means everything to me and around the Holidays it always reminds me of the ones who aren't with us. I miss each of them dearly and wished they could be here to see their family grow but I know some day everyone will be together again. I hope I can pass on to my kids what I have learned from them.

No comments: