Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Still Playing Catch-Up

Since I've been without computer and not able to blog, a few devastating things have happened. Lets start with the most devastating!!

THE GREAT FREEZER INCIDENT OF 2014!!

 
 
Have you ever heard the expression, "Don't cry over spilled milk." Well I did! If you are a nursing mom or know someone who does then you know how PRECIOUS breast milk is. Well with all three of my kids I have been a milk factory producing way more than needed. With Emma I had strictly nursed for the first few weeks so anything I pumped, I froze. Well over the next few months I was able to pump, store and freeze over 175 bags of 3-4 oz bags of milk. I carefully froze them flat so they can be stored standing up in boxes (I would cut my breast pad boxes in half and use those).


Well one day I walked out and found the deep freeze I kept all my "Gold" in was cracked open. The thing I dreaded the most, happened. As I looked inside I found ALL the milk slumped over mostly defrosted!! Frantically I pulled everything out of my house freezer and laid all the bags flat again hoping it wasn't too late.
 
This is two rows deep and six columns wide of milk. I kept telling myself, "It was still mostly frozen should be fine. None of it was warm, all was still ice cold, should be fine. Should be fine right? Oh Lord please let it be fine!!." Then I sat down and cried. Literally!!
 
So after a few days of occupying my kitchen freezer, I pull it out and reorganize it so it will stack in boxes again. With frozen fingers and about 45 minutes later is was all put back into the deep freeze. Low and behold about a week later, I would find the freezer cracked AGAIN!! I didn't lay them flat again, I just left them to refreeze as they were, all slummed over and melted.

Since the first DEVASTATION, Ladd and I BOTH made sure we put our entire bodies into closing the door making sure it was closed. Well this time I just KNEW it was over for this milk. I still had hope bc none of it was warm just ice cold, minus being frozen. So randomly I would pull a bag from different places that it was stored in the freezer and thaw and heat up. So far every one I have pulled smelled funky, which ended being poured down the drain. Sweet 4 ounces at a time and a lot of tears.
 
Well after finding it opened the second time I think it had a latch issue or there was too much weight in the door so it kept popping open. (See I bought this freezer STRICTLY for my milk since I knew there would be a lot. Well not even a few days into having it more the HALF OF IT was occupied by frozen meats and food) So I put a bungee on the door handle to hold it closed. After 3 days things still weren't freezing. I think after being left open twice for more than 12 hours at a time it burned the motor up. So off to Sears I went to purchase a new one.
 
My new freezer is AMAZING!! I found one with a digital temperature gauge on the outside. You can set the temp from there as well. It has a door alarm and if the door is left open for more than 30 seconds it makes a high pitched beeping noise. It also has a feature that makes the door lock after you've had been in it, till it cools back down to the temperature its set on. FANTASTIC!!
 
 
I am slowly replenishing my milk supply but since Emma is eating more its harder for me to save as much as I as I was at first. This is super stressful bc instead of having 175+ 4oz bags I have around 20. SCARY!! But its all good. My girl is still nursing like a champ and she is getting some AWESOME, super cute thunder thighs!!

No comments: